Saturday, June 27, 2009

Drama in the backyard

I don't know what my neighbour on the other side of the fence is feeding the birds but I am seeing a lot of, what I call, less desirable birds.  House sparrows and starlings are aggressive with smaller birds--like my favourite goldfinches--and they also leave large splats of poop down my fence and over my deck.  I come home some days to find the birdbath almost empty and I know there has been a riot in the yard during the afternoon, I hose poop off the deck.
Today this starling, at least I think it is a starling, collided with a goldfinch who had almost reached my niger feeder, he scared the goldfinch off, savagely tore a flower from my basket and ate it while standing on the fence.  When the starling flew off, the goldfinch returned for a dainty snack.  My neighbour is away for the weekend but she has left lots of seed in her feeders for the big bully birds.
See the full gallery on posterous



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails