Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Home of Lucy Maud Montgomery

Daytripping again yesterday, I set out with no plans but to drive north on the back roads.  Just north of Uxbridge Ontario, I discovered the small community of Leaksdale.  I stopped to visit the home of Lucy Maud Montgomery where she lived for 15 years after she married and where she wrote 11 of her novels.  I had always assumed she wrote them all in Prince Edward Island where she was born and grew up.  As you can see, the house is not in very good repair but it is undergoing restoration.  Across and down the street a little, is the church her husband pastored.  It now hosts occasional weddings--how romantic-- and it has a gift shop. 

My grandmother introduced me to Anne of Green Gables when I was a young girl.  She brought the first book out one afternoon when I was visiting and told me a little about it--a teaser to whet my appetite.  I took it home and loved it, actually, I think I began to read it while I was still at her house.  She had the complete series and she shared them with me one at a time.  We talked about each book when I returned it and then she gave me the next one.  

This fond memory of my grandmother is bringing more of them back to me.  Good feelings here!

See the full gallery on posterous

Posted via email from Heather's posterous

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely place to visit Heather. The house looks quite big, but the porch gives an intimate feeling.
Good to have those memories coming back to you! I never read her books, but I believe they were also made into films or tv series, because "Anne of the green gables" has a familiar ring to it.

heatherbelle said...

I remember my sewing teacher...(gosh that dates me..I don't think they have sewing classes any more)...reading Anne of Green Gables to us during our lessons.
Wonderful memories.

Unknown said...

Heatherbelle, they still have sewing lessons here, at least they did when my son was in highschool. He took sewing! Signed up for it so he could get cooking...and the food! We did feed him at home but he always got hungry as he smelled the aromas around the cookimg labs.

What a nice memory you have yourself of your sewing teacher reading Anne of Green Gables to you. What a great teacher she must have been!

Unknown said...

Gerda, it really was a nice place to visit. I would like to go back for a tour inside when the house is open and the restoration is complete.

I found some of the Anne books online at Project Gutenberg. Full text! I may have a go at it but I find it difficult to read much on a computer. You can have a look here. http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/45

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to see the inside. That was my immediate thought when I saw the house.
I'm not fond of reading from the computer either... I will have look though. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails