Wednesday, August 5, 2009

First Tomato



I used to have a big garden, it was impressive--80 thriving tea rose bushes, a large vegetable garden, Big compost bins in the corner ner the cedars, a lovely rock garden across the front of my home, larger perennials along the side and a pretty plum tree right outside my dining room window.  I was a stay-at-home mom and spent many happy hours in the garden while my sons played in the back yard and on our quiet street with neighbour children. 
Over the years, my garden grew smaller and smaller as my sons grew bigger and my time and needs shrank.  I am now reduced to container gardening; all my herbs and vegetables grow in a few pots on the patio.  Today I was looking them over, wondering if there might be any sign of a ripe cherry tomato.  A quick glance was disappointing but as I bent to look underneath the leaves I found one little bright red ripe tomato at the back.  I plucked it, took a few photos (of course) and popped it into my mouth.  The tender skin broke easily between my teeth and gave a delicious squirt of sweet tomato juice.  I closed my eyes and savoured.    

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shot Heather! Nothing better than to taste your own grown tomato:) !

Soe said...

Great shot! Nice use of shallow DOF! .. never had a home grown tomato though :)

heatherbelle said...

I miss my vegetable garden.
Last year I grew so many vegetables I had trouble finding enough people to give them too.
I now have a few emty pots waiting until I can afford to buy the seedlings which hopefully will be in a fortnight or so. Unfortunately it has to wait until the phone and electricity bills are paid for.
Maybe the good old days of candles and carrier pidgeon would have suited me better.

retoque fotografico said...

Stunning compositon and colour in this photo.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails